We collect personal information from you to process your application, provide you with your product or service, and manage your product or service. We may also use your information to comply with legislative or regulatory requirements in any jurisdiction, prevent fraud, crime or other activity that may cause harm in relation to our products or services and help us run our business. We may also use your information to tell you about products or services we think may interest you.
If you do not provide all the information we request, we may need to reject your application or we may no longer be able to provide a product or service to you.
If you are a proposed guarantor, we collect your personal information to assess you as a guarantor, take a guarantee from you and administer that guarantee. If you do not provide all the information we request, we may be unable to accept you as a guarantor.
We may disclose your personal information to other members of the Westpac Group, anyone we engage to do something on our behalf and other organisations that assist us with our business.
As a provider of financial services, we have obligations to disclose some personal information to government agencies and regulators in Australia, and in some cases offshore. We are not able to ensure that foreign government agencies or regulators will comply with Australian privacy laws, although they may have their own privacy laws. By using our products or services, you consent to these disclosures.
- How you can access the personal information we hold about you and ask for it to be corrected
- How you may complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles or a registered privacy code and how we will deal with your complaint
- How we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information in more detail.
- Obtain consumer credit information about you from a credit reporting body to enable us to assess your creditworthiness
- Exchange personal information and credit information about you with other credit providers to assess your application and creditworthiness and to notify them of any defaults by you
- Disclose credit information and other personal information about you to a guarantor or to a proposed guarantor (for the purpose of them considering whether to offer to act as guarantor)
- Give or obtain a banker's opinion about you
- If you are a proposed guarantor, obtain credit reporting information about you from a credit reporting body for the purpose of assessing whether to accept you as a guarantor.
To ensure we are meeting our requirements and to allow the most up-to-date information to be considered as part of the application process, we may be required to do any or all of these things on one or more occasions.
The privacy page of our website stgeorge.com.au includes a "Statement of Notifiable Matters". These are matters you should be aware of in relation to the use and disclosure of your credit information. This statement includes:
- Details of the credit reporting bodies to which we are likely to disclose your credit information, the types of credit information we may give them and how this information will be used
- Your rights over your credit information, including how you can access and correct your information and make complaints
- Your rights to direct a credit reporting body to limit the use of your information for direct marketing purposes and what protections are available if you believe you are a victim of fraud; and
- Information about our Credit Reporting Policy.
You can call us on 13 22 66 or visit us in branch for a hard copy of the Statement of Notifiable Matters.
Other acknowledgments and consents
- We may confirm the details of the information provided in this application which includes contacting your employer to confirm salary, address or other personal details
- Where you have provided information about another individual, you must make them aware of that fact and the contents of the Privacy Statement
- This application form is not an offer or acceptance of credit
- We may offer you another Bank of Melbourne credit card product or a lower credit limit or both if you do not qualify for the credit limit you have applied for, but qualify for another credit card product. You can decide whether or not you wish to accept this offer.
Information about products and services
We will use or disclose your personal information to contact you or send you information about other products and services offered by the Westpac Group or its preferred suppliers. Please call us on 13 22 66 or visit any of our branches if you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us.
Our reporting obligations
We are required to identify tax residents of a country(ies) other than Australia in order to meet account information reporting requirements under local and international laws.
If at any time after account opening, information in our possession suggests that you, the entity and/or any individual who holds ownership and/or control in the entity of 25% or more (Controlling Person/Beneficial Owner) may be a tax resident of a country(ies) other than Australia, you may be contacted to provide further information on your foreign tax status and/or the foreign tax status of the entity and/or any Controlling Person/Beneficial Owner. Failure to respond may lead to certain reporting requirements applying to the account.
By completing this application you certify that if at any time there is a change to the foreign tax status details for you, the entity and/or any controlling persons/beneficial owner, you will inform the bank. You also certify that if at any time there is a change of a controlling person/s/beneficial owner/s in your entity, you will inform the bank.
A controlling person/beneficial owner refers to the individual(s) that directly or indirectly owns a legal interest in the entity of 25% or more and/or exercises actual effective control over the entity, whether from an economic or other perspective such as through voting rights. In addition, in the case of a trust, a controlling person/beneficial owner includes the settlor(s), trustee(s), appointer(s), protector(s), beneficiary(ies) or classes of beneficiaries and in the case of an entity other than a trust, the term includes persons in equivalent or similar positions.
By completing this application, you also certify that the settlor(s) and/or any named beneficiary(ies) are not foreign tax residents. If the settlor(s) and/or any named beneficiary(ies) are a foreign tax resident, you must telephone 1300 725 863 at the time of completing this application. If, at the time of completing this application, there are no named beneficiaries, you confirm you will telephone 1300 725 863 immediately after a decision has been made to make a distribution to such beneficiaries and their identities become known. When you contact us, you will be asked to provide additional information for the settlor(s) and/or named beneficiary(ies).
"We", "our", "us" means Bank of Melbourne - A Division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141. "Westpac Group" means Westpac Banking Corporation and its related bodies corporate.