Stay Smart Online Week
Bank of Melbourne proudly supports Stay Smart Online week, an annual online security awareness campaign run by the Australian Government. The theme for this year is 'Cyber safety from the lounge room to the board room'. There is a focus on how individuals' online behaviours in their personal life can impact their workplace and how there is a need for organisations to engage with their employees on online security awareness.
As part of Stay Smart Online week, three easy to follow guides on how to improve your online security have been launched. The guides are available at www.staysmartonline.gov.au/sso-week make sure to share this valuable information with friends, family and staff
Bank of Melbourne also recommends you apply the following security tips to help improve your online security:
- Passwords - Keep your passwords and customer number secure. Don’t share them with anyone and ensure that they can’t be easily predicted.
- Register - Register a Security Device to ensure we can verify your online actions in real time. Also consider registering for the stay smart online alert service to receive information on the latest scams impacting Australians.
- Emails - be wary of opening unexpected email, especially those with attachments or requests to make changes to existing details to account details. Always confirm any requests verbally via trusted sources like the yellow pages, Google search or company website.
- Keep your personal details safe - Fraudsters go to great lengths to convince you of heart breaking, appealing or compelling stories in order to trick you into giving them your money. Google the story you have been provided to see if other people have been tricked into giving a fraudster their money.
- Don’t give anyone access to your computer - Do not allow callers asking to remotely access your computer. If a reputable company calls requesting you to do this just hang up and call the company back using a trusted number.
- Software Updates - always keep your operating system, browser and anti-virus up to date. This ensures the latest security updates on your device are helping keep you safe to.
For further Bank of Melbourne security tips go to bankofmelbourne.com.au/security