Be Online Smart
There are many advantages to shopping online, especially when it comes to buying presents!
Use the following to ensure safe online shopping this festive season:
- Exercise the same amount of caution online as you would when buying from a local store
- Check out handy tips for safe shopping at the Government’s Smart Online Shopping campaign
- Get extra credit card security with Mastercard® SecureCode™ or Verified by Visa.
Don’t fall for scams
Scam emails (also known as 'phishing') seek to trick people into giving out personal and banking details. Fraudsters are using increasingly sophisticated ‘phishing’ methods to dupe customers.
Some ways to spot a scam:
- Does it instruct you to click on a link, open an attachment or call a number?
- Does it ask for account or personal information, or for you to confirm online banking security?
- Does the email have poor spelling, grammar and punctuation?
Check out our tips on securing your PC and the latest scams received by Bank of Melbourne customers to help you keep one step ahead of the scammers.
Protect yourself from malicious threats
A trojan is malicious software installed onto a computer that can extract personal and financial information, often without you knowing.
So with children on school holidays and likely to be using the home computer more, it's essential to protect yourself against such threats by:
- Installing security software and setting it to scan regularly. As a valued Bank of Melbourne customer you can download 6 months free online protection from McAfee for up to 5 devices.
- Using Security Tools to conduct regular system and virus scans and ensuring they're all up to date.
Security for your phone is just as important as security for your PC. Our Mobile Banking security tips outline several things you can do (as well as avoid) to ensure hassle free transactions using your mobile phone. For added security:
- Personal customers can use Bank of Melbourne Secure Code
Like to know more?
- Stay Smart Online
- Bank of Melbourne Security Commitment
- Tips to prevent identity theft
- Tips to prevent card fraud