- Privacy Statement and Declaration
- What kinds of personal information do we collect and hold?
- Why do we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information?
- How do we collect personal information?
- How do we hold and protect your personal information?
- Who do we disclose your personal information to, and why?
- Do we disclose personal information overseas?
- Do we use or disclose personal information for marketing?
- Access to and correction of personal information
- Resolving your privacy concerns and complaints – your rights
- Contact us
We are committed to protecting your privacy.
We are bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and must protect your personal information according to that Act and other applicable laws, such as the Spam Act 2007 (Cth) (‘Privacy Laws’).
We collect personal information from you to process your application, provide you with your product or service, and manage your product or service. Read the full Privacy Statement and Declaration.
When you apply for, register your interest in, or enquire about a product or service, we collect information that is reasonably necessary to be able to provide you with those products or services. For instance, we may ask for identification information such as your name, address and date of birth
The main reason we collect, use, hold and disclose personal information is so we can provide you with products and services (including where applicable, third party products and services) and to help us run our business. This may include:
- checking your eligibility for the product or service;
- assisting you where online applications are not completed;
- providing you with the product or service;
- helping you manage the product or service;
- helping us develop insights and conduct data analysis to improve the delivery of products and services, enhance our customer relationships and effectively manage risks; and
- understanding your interests and preferences so we can tailor digital content.
We collect most personal information directly from you whether in person, on the phone or electronically, for example when you visit our websites, online banking services or use our mobile or tablet applications;
Sometimes we collect personal information about you from other people or organisations, for example from other Westpac Group companies, publicly available sources of information and credit reporting bodies or service providers, such as companies that provide fraud prevention reports.
Much of the information we hold about you will be stored electronically in secure data centres located in Australia. We also store information in other Westpac Group secure data centres or the data centres of our contracted service providers (including cloud storage providers), and some of these data centres may be located outside Australia.
We use a range of physical, electronic and other security measures to protect the security, confidentiality and integrity of the personal information we hold both in Australia and overseas.
We may share your personal information with other Westpac Group companies. Sometimes we may disclose your personal information to organisations outside the Westpac Group who help us deliver or support our provision of products and services to you. For example our agents, contractors and contracted service providers, insurers, and credit reporting bodies.
We may disclose your personal information to a recipient located outside Australia. For example, this may include the following:
- Westpac Group companies;
- our contracted service providers operating overseas; and
- organisations operating overseas with whom we partner to provide goods and services and who are likely to be located in the United States.
We may use your personal information to directly offer you products and services that we believe may be of interest and value to you, but we will not do this if you tell us not to. These products and services may be offered by a member of the Westpac Group or one of its preferred suppliers by various means, including by mail, telephone, email, SMS or through social media or targeted advertising through Westpac Group or non-Westpac websites or our online banking services.
When we market products and services to you, we will comply with applicable Privacy Laws to obtain your consent if required.
If you do not want to receive marketing offers from us, please contact us using the contact details or opt-out facility provided to you.
You can request access to the personal information we hold about you. You can also ask for corrections to be made. To do so, please contact us.
If you have a question or complaint about how your personal information is being handled by us, our affiliates or contracted service providers, please contact us first using the contact details provided below.
If you are unhappy with our response, you can contact our Westpac Group Customer Advocate who can conduct an independent review of your matter at email@example.com.
Under the Privacy Act you may complain to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) about the way we handle your personal information. Please note the OAIC requires any complaint must first be made to the respondent organisation. The law also allows 30 days for the respondent organisation to deal with the complaint before a person may make a complaint to the OAIC.
The Commissioner can be contacted at:
The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) can consider certain privacy complaints relating to either the provision of credit or credit reporting information in general. The contact details for AFCA are set out below.
Australian Financial Complaints Authority:
Phone: 1800 931 678 (free call)
Mail: Australian Financial Complaints Authority GPO Box 3 Melbourne VIC 3001
- calling 13 22 66 – call centres are open 8am – 8pm, Monday - Saturday from anywhere in Australia;
- visiting any of our branches in person;
- online at bankofmelbourne.com.au – using our secure feedback form to provide feedback, share your suggestions, or provide a complaint or compliment; or
- write to us at Reply Paid 5265, Sydney NSW 2001.