Bank of Melbourne to access $1.5 million Bushfire Fund for local fire affected regions
6 January 2020
Bank of Melbourne will access a $1.5 million Bushfire Fund, announced by the Westpac Group, to provide immediate assistance to bushfire affected communities in Victoria.
Bank of Melbourne Chief Executive Mark Melvin said the funding will provide immediate, practical help on the ground.
“We know that our customers and communities in east and north-east Victoria are facing devastation, and need urgent support to get back on their feet. We are also committed to helping communities recover and rebuild over the longer term."
If you or anyone you know needs assistance please contact your local branch, Relationship Manager or Bank of Melbourne Assist on 1800 600 266 - our teams are ready to help.
The Bushfire Fund will include:
- $500,000 in grants to immediately support customers and employees whose properties have been destroyed or damaged. Grants of up $2000 can be accessed to help cover temporary accommodation, food and clothing;
- $300,000 to state-based volunteer fire services to continue to support the emergency workers on the front line;
- $250,000 to the Foundation for Rural and Regional Renewal (FRRR) to provide grants to impacted communities to support recovery and rebuild efforts;
- $100,000 to the Victoria Bushfire Appeal, and
- The remaining $350,000 will be allocated for the rebuilding and recovery support that will be essential in the months ahead as communities rebuild homes and businesses, as well as for the rescue and rehabilitation of local wildlife.
This Fund is in addition to a number of initiatives already announced, including:
- Community: $200,000 donation to The Salvation Army Emergency and Disaster Appeal;
- Customers: A Disaster Relief Package for customers to assist with their needs;
- Donations: Donations are being taken at any Westpac or Bank of Melbourne Branch or through our Mobile Banking App, which will further assist with the Salvation Army Emergency and Disaster Appeal;
- Matching Gifts: Any employee who donates to a charity providing disaster relief will have their donation matched by Westpac Group; and
- As a significant Victorian employer, Bank of Melbourne has a number of initiatives to support our people who are helping the recovery process. This includes uncapped paid leave for employees who are emergency service volunteers, and counselling support.
All affected insurance customers should contact Bank of Melbourne on
1300 020 266 so that we may assist. Claims can be lodged 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling this number.