But revealing your details can seem a bit daunting. Don't worry - we've got the latest online security to keep your finances safe. We're also at the front of the game, so we're up-to-date with the latest tricks the bad guys are using so we can try to keep one step ahead.
When you’re shopping with participating online retailers, Verified by Visa and MasterCard® SecureCode™ services work with Bank of Melbourne to authenticate your transaction using a 'One Time Password' to ensure that it is really you making the purchase. This additional layer of security is provided to you free of charge through Bank of Melbourne's Secure Online Shopping service.
How it works
From time to time we may require you to enter a unique ‘One Time Password’ which you will receive via SMS or email, when purchasing online with participating merchants.
Please make sure that you and any additional cardholders linked to your account provide the most up-to-date mobile number and/or email address.
Note: The ‘One Time Password’ is only valid to use for a single transaction.
To ensure we have your most recent mobile phone number and email address, simply update your details by:
- Logging into Internet Banking1
- Calling us on the number provided at the back of your card, or
- Visiting your nearest branch.
Free virus protection
One of the easiest ways you can protect yourself when shopping online is to keep your computer healthy. All you need to do is download virus protection software.
We've teamed up with online security powerhouse McAfee3 - a long-trusted name in protection against hackers, malware, phishing and other online threats. Bank of Melbourne customers can download a 6 month free trial of McAfee's popular Multi Access program. This gives you:
- Protection for up to 5 household devices (PC or Mac computers, tablets and smartphones)
- Additional 'parental controls' to monitor and block questionable content
- Ability to locate, lock, and wipe a lost or stolen smartphone or tablet.
Bank of Melbourne Fraud Money Back Guarantee
Our Bank of Melbourne Fraud Money Back Guarantee2 ensures that customers will be reimbursed for any unauthorised transactions provided that they haven't contributed to the loss and have contacted Bank of Melbourne promptly.
Lost your card? Lock it up!
Ever had that sense of dread when you can't find your card? The racing heart and the sweating palms? Relax. You can use the Bank of Melbourne app on your phone to put a temporary block on your debit card or credit card. Then when you find you card again, simply unblock it - too easy.
And if your card is lost or been stolen, you can let us know via the app and arrange to have it replaced.
Tips for safe online shopping
- Check the web address - an easy way to check you're on the legitimate site (and not a fake) is to check the site's web address. They look pretty similar, but there's a world of difference between, for example www.davidjones.com.au and www.davedjones.com.au
- Don't use a public computer or free wifi to shop online - strangers may be able to access your browsing history and login information
- Make sure your security software is up-to-date - if you haven't got security software, you could download the free 6 month McAfee trial
- Check the site is secure - the web address should start with https instead of http
- Keep a record of all online transactions - make sure you include the web address and order information
- Keep your phone safe - protect it with a password and don't save any sensitive information on it
- Do your research - check online reviews to make sure the company are genuine and will deliver what they say
- Never open spam emails or attachments - these often have the potential to download malware or other malicious software to your computer
- Keep your details private - only you should know your card PIN and Internet Banking log in details
- Keep us up-to-date - if your contact details change or you're traveling overseas let us know. This way it's easier to contact you if we suspect anything suspicious is happening on your card without you knowing
Conditions and fees apply.
Before making a decision, it’s best to read the terms and conditions.
- Transaction, Savings & Investment Accounts - Banking Services Terms and Conditions and General Information
- Transaction, Savings & Investment Accounts - Fees & Charges and How to Minimise Them
- Interest rates
- Before using Internet or Phone Banking, please read the Terms and Conditions and before using Mobile or Tablet Banking, please read our Mobile Banking Terms and Conditions.
1. MasterCard and MasterCard Secure Code are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated.
2. If your account is compromised as a result of Internet fraud we guarantee to refund any missing funds, providing you comply with our Internet and Mobile Banking Terms and Conditions.
3. This special offer for security software is not an endorsement from Bank of Melbourne. Information above is a general description only, using the link provided will take you to an external website. McAfee Multi AccessTM is offered by McAfee. Please visit McAfee Support for any installation or product related questions. Bank of Melbourne recommends that you do not access Internet or Mobile Banking if you are concerned your computer may be infected with a virus, worm or trojan.
4. To be eligible for a Visa Debit Card, you must have an Australian residential address and be over 14 years of age.