My First Visa Debit Card
Teenage years are all about new experiences. Everyone's a rookie first time around and it can be easy to make a mistake. Some mistakes can be costly so we are here to help you be a Money Smart Rookie and to make smart decisions about your cash with your first Visa Debit Card1
Understanding your card
1. Debit Card number: A 16-digit number unique to the card. It is not your bank account number. You’ll need to use this card number when you shop online.
2. Expiry date: All cards have an expiry date after which it can’t be used. Don’t worry, we’ll send you a new one when the date gets close. You’ll need to provide the expiry date when you shop online.
3. Call Centre: Any questions, just call this toll-free number, 13 22 66 between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Saturday or by using the number for Overseas Assistance also displayed on the back of your card.
4. Secure chip: This little gold chip contains your information. It is what we read, when you place your card into the EFTPOS machine, to know that it is you.
5. Visa payWave: Using a Visa payWave reader is a fast way to pay in-store, and you won’t need use your PIN if the transaction is less than $100.
6. Magnetic strip: Some shops still have old EFTPOS machines so occasionally you may need to swipe the card in the machine, instead of inserting the chip.
7. Signature panel: Make sure you sign your card within the signature panel as soon as you receive your card. It makes it harder for someone to try and spend your money if you ever lose the card.
8. CVV (Card Verification Value): When buying online or over the phone, you'll often be asked to enter the last 3 digits on your card’s signature panel. It’s an extra security measure that helps keep your money safe.
Using your Card
Managing your account
Opening your first account can be exciting - but you need to know how to manage your account and keep track of your finances. Here are some tips to help you stay on track.
Keeping yourself safe
Using a Visa Debit Card can make life easier – but you need to know how to protect your money and your privacy. Here are some tips on how to beat scammers and protect your money.
If you have any questions regarding your new Visa Debit Card, please contact us on 13 22 66, 8am and 8pm, Monday to Saturday.
Please see our Complete Freedom for U21s and Students/ Apprentices page for more product features. Alternatively, you can Apply online for Complete Freedom for U21s and Students/ Apprentices now.
Bank of Melbourne Visa Debit cards are only available to customers who are 14 and older and who have an Australian residential address. In order to access eStatements and MoneyMeter, customers must first register for Internet Banking. Once registered for Internet banking, simply download the App from the App Store or Google Play and follow the prompts to register for MoneyMeter.. You should read the terms and conditions which apply to Internet Banking before making a decision and consider whether the product is right for you. Internet connection is required to download Bank of Melbourne mobile apps from the App Store or Google Play. Information is current at time of download and subject to change. Normal data charges apply. Please check with your mobile phone service or internet provider for details. Apple, the Apple logo and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc. Bank of Melbourne - A Division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714.