True, it's a handy and secure way to keep tabs on your cash while you're away. But it's also a useful tool to get you out of a fix in a hurry (should you lose your card you can block it immediately), it can help save on the ATM withdrawal fee1 by finding the nearest Global ATM Alliance ATM (there's over 50,000 of them worldwide) and you can use it to keep us up-to-date with your travel plans so we can help keep an eye out for any suspicious transactions.
First things first. Let us know where you're going
It's always a good idea to let us know if you're going overseas - that way we can keep a look out for any suspicious transactions that crop up on your account. In the past you've had to call us up and let us know - good in theory but still a bit of a hassle when you're rushing to get to the airport.
Problem sorted. Now you can do it all within the mobile banking app. Just login, go to the notifications section and let us know where you're going and when. Too easy. And if you've already arrived overseas and forgotten to do it, you can let us know from there.
Getting cash out when you're there
There's plenty of better things to spend money on overseas than ATM fees. With the help of our app, sometimes saving money can be as easy as crossing the street and using a different ATM.
Bank of Melbourne is part of the Global ATM Alliance network - an alliance of banks around the world where you won't need to pay the $5 ATM withdrawal fee. 2
If you're in a country that has ATMs from the Global Alliance, finding one is easy - just use the Global ATM locator within the app (and with over 50,000 ATMs around the world, finding one shouldn't be too much trouble.)
Lost your card? Lock it up!
Whether you've lost it in your suitcase, or eek (even worse) it's been stolen - not having access to your card overseas is a terrible feeling.
But with the Bank of Melbourne app, you can act fast. You can use it to put a temporary block on your debit or credit card - and if you do find it down the bottom of your bag, you can unlock it again.
Using your own money is easy with a Visa Debit card
A Visa Debit card1 isn't a credit card - it's a debit card that gives you instant access to the money in your everyday account from ATMs or anywhere around the world where Visa is accepted. Plus you can also use it to shop online.
With a Visa Debit card you can:
- Make purchases online and over the phone using your own money
- Withdraw cash at ATMs in Australia and around the world (fees may apply)
- Have added security with chip technology, giving you the latest card security.
As long as you're over 14 and have an Australian residential address, you can access your money with a Visa Debit card linked with a Bank of Melbourne Complete Freedom account or one of our other transaction accounts.
Conditions and fees apply.
Before making a decision, it’s best to read the terms and conditions.
- Transaction, Savings & Investment Accounts - Banking Services Terms and Conditions and General Information
- Transaction, Savings & Investment Accounts - Fees & Charges and How to Minimise Them
- Interest rates
- Before using Internet or Phone Banking, please read the Terms and Conditions and before using Mobile or Tablet Banking, please read our Mobile Banking Terms and Conditions.
1. A 3% Bank of Melbourne Foreign Transaction Fee applies.
2. Customers must be 14 or older and have an Australian residential address to be eligible for a Visa Debit Card. If you're not eligible, you may be offered a Freedom Card to access your account.