Travel with greater peace of mind, knowing you can manage your credit card while you are overseas.
When travelling with your credit card, you don't need to carry traveller's cheques or large amounts of cash as your credit card opens the door to convenient spending wherever Visa or Mastercard® are accepted. Your Visa or Mastercard credit card is accepted worldwide and gives you access to many ATMs if you need cash.
To avoid any unexpected fees and charges, you should factor cash advance fees and International Mastercard or Visa transaction fees into your travelling budget. Find out more on how to minimise these and other fees.
Here are some tips on preparing your Bank of Melbourne credit card before you leave:
- You could consider cards that offer complimentary travel insurance1 - Amplify Platinum or Amplify Signature
- Set up a PIN on your credit card for easy cash advances at overseas ATMs and at merchants that accept a PIN for credit card purchases
- Ensure your mobile number and email address are up-to-date. With Bank of Melbourne’s Secure Online Shopping Service, from time to time you will need to enter a unique ‘One Time Password’, which you will receive via SMS or email, when shopping online with participating merchants. If you’re not planning to use your mobile phone number overseas, let us know if you've changed your address or email
- Register for Internet Banking so you can check your balances and make repayments online
- Set up an Autopay automatic payment arrangement to your credit card by logging onto Internet or Mobile Banking.
- Apply to increase your credit limit, if necessary, to avoid over limit fees.
- Help us protect your accounts while overseas by letting us know when and where you are travelling
- Bank of Melbourne operates in many overseas locations and must comply with economic and trade sanctions at all times. Some countries present significant risk in relation to sanctions compliance. Bank of Melbourne cards are not accessible and cannot be used in the following affected countries: Cuba, Crimea Region, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. To ensure access to other payment options in these countries, visit a Bank of Melbourne branch to arrange an alternative solution.
Have you considered
Unsure about the best personal loan for your well-earned holiday? See our options and start making your dream holiday a reality.
Conditions, fees and credit criteria apply.
Before making a decision, it's best to read the terms and conditions.
Your welcome letter will also set out some terms and conditions such as interest rates and fees.
Please read these documents and keep a copy. You can request a paper copy at a branch.
The advice on our website is prepared without knowing your personal financial circumstances. Before you act on this or any advice, please consider if it's right for you. If you need help, call 13 22 66.
1 Complimentary Insurance covers: AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 AFSL 245631, trading as Allianz Global Assistance (AGA), under a binder from the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 (Allianz), has issued an insurance group policy to Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac) which allows eligible persons to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. Access to the benefit of cover under the Credit Card Complimentary Insurance is provided to eligible Bank of Melbourne cardholders by operation of s48 of the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth). If an eligible persons wishes to claim any of these benefits, they will be bound by the eligibility criteria, terms, conditions, limits and exclusions contained in the Complimentary Insurance Policy Information booklet which may be amended from time to time. This insurance is underwritten by Allianz. Westpac does not guarantee this insurance. This information does not take your personal objectives, circumstances or needs into account. Consider its appropriateness to these factors before acting on it.